Sometimes life can feel very dull. We’ve all had days or weeks when we’ve felt bored, tired and not very bothered about, well, anything. You may not be actually depressed but you’re certainly not feeling very motivated. Everything feels a little bit ‘meh’.
There are a number of reasons why you might feel like this. Maybe your routine has become so rigid that every day feels like groundhog day. Maybe you’re stressed by every day life and financial worries. Maybe you’re stuck in a job that no longer does it for you.
Whatever the reasons, if you feel like you’re simply coasting along, it’s not a good thing. When you find yourself stuck in a rut it has the potential to affect everything, from your job to your relationships.
If you’re stuck in a rut it’s time to get your mojo back! Try these top 10 tips to put the passion and excitement back into your life:
1. Embrace the positivity. Surround yourself with positive people. Is there a group of friends who always make you feel bad about yourself? Well it’s time to reconnect with old friends or meet some new ones! Positive people will make you feel more positive too.
2. Break bad habits. Whether it’s using alcohol to relax or eating chocolate as a comfort, the chances are you have some bad habits and you know it. Identify what is getting you down and eliminate it. Write down 5 things that you’re going to change and do it!
3. Get outside. There’s a whole host of research to back this one up. Studies have shown that light and exercise elevate your mood. Plus, you’ll boost your vitamin D levels.
4. Get a makeover. Get a new haircut, buy some new clothes. This is the start of a new you and you’re going to need a new look too.
5. Take up a hobby. Step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Try something new; whether it’s a language class, a sports club or a book club, just do something that gets you out of the house and helps you meet new people.. You could join the online community Meet Up.
6. Lose weight. Nothing gets you out of a rut quite like a new body. Compliments about how much weight you’ve lost will cheer you up more than you can imagine. Stop making excuses and get healthy.
7. Boost your energy levels. Check out Eat Clean Paleo’s 10 step guide to boosting your energy levels.
8. Set attainable goals. Identify why you’re stuck in a rut and make a long-term plan to change. Do you hate your job? Ask yourself if you can still see yourself there in a year’s time. If the answer is no maybe it’s time to make a plan.
9. Start a journal. Each day record your sleeping and eating habits, your exercise, your daily activities, stress levels and your mood. See if there a pattern emerges. Are you happier when you exercise? Are you getting less sleep
10. Meditate. Many Irish people with struggle with this, but give it a chance. Download the ‘Breathe’ App and give it a go. Finding a bit of headspace could do wonders for you.
In November Eat Clean Paleo will launch their Dry November campaign. You’ll get healthy eating and fitness plans to follow, while giving up drink for a month. There’s also a support group to keep you motivated, all for €50 a month. If you’re stuck in a rut it could be just the change you need. Find out more here.