When it comes to Paleo you know you’re in pretty deep when you start to think about putting butter in your coffee, but fans of “Bulletproof Coffee”, or “Rocketfuel” as it’s sometimes known, swear by its benefits. Bulletproofing your coffee involves putting butter and coconut oil (or MCT oil) in your morning shot. For more details on how to make it check out the easy recipe below.
What you need to know:
1. Like watching TV in your pants and eating peanut butter straight from the jar, this one is best done in the comfort of your own home. Your colleagues might have got their heads around you eating vegetables for breakfast, but might be a step too far.
2. Only grass fed butter will do as it has the best ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids. This is where you can take a bow and rejoice in being Irish. Guess what the world’s favourite brand of grass fed butter is? Only our very own Kerrygold and sure we can get that anywhere.
3. The science on bulletproof coffee isn’t concrete but many people swear that the combination of caffeine, protein and oil provides an immediate boost, as well as a sustained source of energy.
4. It’s surprisingly tasty. The trick is to blend the mixture using one of the methods outlined below. Once blended the result is creamy and quite moreish, not at all like you would expect butter to taste like in coffee.
Why are people putting butter in their coffee?
1. It’s meant to give you an energy kick first thing in the morning.
2. Fans say it can keep you energized for hours and eliminate crashes later in the day.
3. It has a high satiety factor, staving off hunger and cravings.
4. Drinking it each morning puts your body in the routine to burn fat all day.
5. It provides healthy fats for your brain and body.
How to do it
- Double shot of high quality espresso
- Teaspoon kerrygold butter
- Teaspoon coconut oil
1. Recipes vary – most recommend unsalted butter, but I have to say I use regular old Kerrygold and it tastes just dandy. Many people will also recommend MCT oil (it’s a refined version of coconut oil with about 6 times the amount of medium chain triglycerides). Again, I use plain old raw virgin coconut oil because I like to keep things as simple as possible. I use a small teaspoon each of butter and coconut oil. I find it’s enough to give me a boost without packing too many calories. Many people will use a tablespoon of each and have this as a substitute for breakfast but I prefer to have my eggs.
2. Make a double espresso in a large mug, then add the butter and oil. Now you need to find some way of blending the mixture. Ideally, use your coffee machine’s frother – it will help retain the heat while blending. Otherwise use a blender or nutribullet. If you don’t have any of them give the mix a good shake in a jar or protein shake mixer.
3. Drink and kick ass for the rest of the day!