This blueberry and almond cake has no sugar, flour or butter, but it still tastes great! Make it at the weekend and serve with berries and Greek yogurt.
Makes one loaf
- 6 eggs
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Small pack of blueberries (150g)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
2. Crack 6 eggs into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until they are pale and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes, so be patient. Gently fold in the coconut, ground almonds, baking powder and vanilla.
3. Take a non-stick loaf tin. I use a silicone pan; if you have a regular tin make sure to grease it with melted coconut oil or butter. Add half the mixture to the tin, followed by a layer of blueberries and the rest of the mix.
4. Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes, until it is cooked through and a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. When cool slice into portions and serve with nut butter or berries and Greek yogurt.
*if you’re strict Paleo bear in mind baking powder isn’t Paleo.